A comprehensive online assessment solution aligned to NCTM standards in Algebra 1, Acuity Algebra enables you to efficiently assess algebra readiness, proficiency, and ongoing progress.
Subject Areas and Grades
- Algebra (Grades 6–12)
- One readiness exam
- Thirteen formative assessments
- One proficiency exam
- Student response devices or clickers
- Paper and pencil
- Combination of formats
- Aligned with National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) standards
Thank you for your patience.
Acuity Algebra enables you to efficiently assess algebra readiness, proficiency, and ongoing progress. With Acuity Algebra, you can score results and receive detailed reports on students, classrooms, schools, and districts using next generation assessment technology. Acuity Algebra aligns with the Principles and Standards for School Mathematics, published by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) in 2000.
This diagram shows how the comprehensive Acuity system can meet your needs throughout the learning process:
A Comprehensive Solution to Fit Your Needs
End-of-course Algebra I proficiency measurements help educators scaffold learning for students so they are prepared for state tests and algebra exit exams and advanced math content.
Acuity also allows you to build customized assessments using a robust item bank and item authoring tools.
Acuity Algebra helps you improve student achievement in algebra by offering you:
- One readiness exam, covering pre-algebra content, that allows teachers to identify students for placement in Algebra I. Delivers information quickly to help guide placement decisions and inform instruction and instructional programs.
- Thirteen formative assessments that can be used throughout the year to identify student strengths and areas for additional instruction during Algebra I programs. These assessments offer information in quick, easy-to-use formats that help you tailor instruction to individual student needs.
- One proficiency exam, assessing mastery of Algebra I, that allows teachers to evaluate students for placement in higher-level math classes
- Customized assessment capabilities, featuring an item bank of 500 test items and item authoring tools that make it easy to write your own selected-response assessment items
Because each classroom is unique, the most effective assessments are those that are fexible and can be used by stakeholders districtwide. Acuity Algebra delivers a solution that meets a range of needs, from classroom-based formative assessment to district-level interim assessment programs designed to prepare students to succeed in algebra.
Acuity Algebra provides predictive validity for the accurate placement of students in Algebra I courses. Teachers can further pinpoint student instructional needs with custom assessments that deliver important diagnostic information about student understanding.
This information helps teachers:
- Quickly diagnose student strengths and instructional needs, and give individually tailored feedback
- Easily integrate important progress information into existing curricula
Educators can benchmark student mastery at the beginning of the year and get visibility to progress throughout the year at the student, class, school, and district levels.
Acuity aligns with the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) 2000 standards.
Proficiency is measured by the following strands:
- Number sense, computation, and estimation
- Variables and Expressions
- Inequalities and equations
- Graphic inequalities and linear equations
- Quadratic and exponential functions
- Radical expressions and equations
- Rational expressions and equations
- Statistics and probability
Acuity gives you flexible support for the creation of custom assessments.
Acuity Algebra includes a vast item bank aligned to the NCTM standards. You can create and share assessments with other educators in your school or district.
Acuity Item Banks:
- Include items for algebra for Grades 6–12
- Allow you to create your own custom tests by selecting items and test length
- Provide intervention opportunities
- Enable you to target specific small-group or individual student instructional needs
Acuity Item Authoring supports item writing so you can develop your own customized assessments aligned to NCTM standards and/or your district curriculum guides. Once you create your customized items, you can share them within your district.
Acuity Item Authoring also delivers a permission-based tool for efficiently producing, managing, and organizing item authoring initiatives.
Acuity assessments can be delivered in the following formats:
- Student response devices or clickers
- Paper and pencil
- Any combination of the above formats (results aggregated)
Student Response Devices or Clickers
Acuity is the only comprehensive assessment system that seamlessly integrates online formative assessment with student response devices or clickers. The clicker format allows teachers to:
- Deliver assessments in the classroom—freeing up computer labs for instruction
- Quickly and easily adjust students, with minimal prep time
- View real-time results, to make instructional decisions faster than ever
Acuity requires minimal training to begin informing classroom teaching and district-level decision making. Acuity is a highly responsive system. Reports are available at the student, class, school, and district levels to help you make informed instructional decisions quickly.
Paper and Pencil
Acuity is designed to fit into the workflow of your classrooms—saving you time and helping you teach appropriate content targeted to individual student needs. Implementation, training, and support are available online or at your location to quickly get you started improving student achievement.
With the paper-and-pencil method, you can obtain Acuity reports easily after scanning assessments into the system. Or, if you prefer, you can opt for CTB's scoring service. You can send the completed test answer sheets to CTB and generate reports locally from the Acuity system.
Acuity supports both Optical Mark Read (OMR) and image-based scanning and includes the scan programs. If you are using image-based scanners, you can print your own answer sheets. If you are using OMR scanners, OMR answer sheets are available from CTB.
Acuity increases the effectiveness of teaching and curriculum by providing additional, targeted instruction when required. Once your assessments are scanned and scored, you receive all the benefits of the online system: helpful Acuity Reports and Instructional Resources aligned to your state standards.
When you purchase an Acuity solution, CTB provides you with a dedicated team for implementation, professional development, and support.
Robust Acuity support to help your educators and students reach success.
Successfully implementing and managing an assessment solution requires a multi-faceted approach to program support with help available at the classroom, school, and district levels. Acuity ensures a successful integration into existing instruction with:
- Comprehensive implementation programs—from initial planning through assessment delivery
- Professional development workshops—delivered on-site or online to ensure you get the most out of Acuity
- Community message board for sharing helpful tips and advice with other clients
- White papers on formative assessment
- Online help and overview webinars
- Information regarding new product enhancements and other timely news
- Free ongoing customer service and technical support
Download the Acuity Professional Development brochure »
(PDF, 192 KB)
Acuity Algebra Resources
"I've been an educator for 30 years and Acuity is the best program I’ve seen. It can improve performance, accountability, and the culture of a school district. We firmly believe in data-driven instruction and, thanks to Acuity, we now live it."
"Through the use of Acuity and its resources, not only has student achievement improved dramatically at Firelands Local Schools but the culture has greatly improved, too. The culture of our district has become that of striving for excellence and professional collaboration. It’s been only two years but the growth we’ve seen is significant."
Mesa Public Schools implemented Acuity to help teachers target instruction, measure progress toward state standards, and predict student performance on Arizona's Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS).
"Acuity is one of our most valued tools. It provides student-specific data to ensure that we do the right thing for each child. While we use a suite of measures to inform our instructional practices, Acuity has proven to be instrumental towards the development of worthwhile learning opportunities for every student."