An online version of the popular TABE 9&10 test, TABE Online is the only adult basic skills assessment available online to quickly assess skills for training and employment, or to determine readiness to take the high school equivalency exam.
Basic Skills: Reading, Math, Language,
Language Mechanics, Vocabulary,
- Computer-based (online)
- Immediate online scoring
Videos & On-Demand Webinars
Thank you for your patience.
- Item Counts /
- Features &
Save time and resources with Tests of Adult Basic Education administered, scored, and analyzed over the Internet
Get reliable information fast
TABE Online is a system that lets you assess and report adult basic education skills at any time using the Internet. It provides you with reliable, skill-level data to screen and place students in training and employment programs or determine readiness for success as tested by current HSE tests. TABE Online includes the Locator, Complete Battery, and Survey tests for TABE 9&10.
Find greater flexibility in assessment delivery
You can give online tests to a single student or an entire group. The online system automatically scores the assessments and immediately generates reports so you will have a clear picture of skill levels.
Gain more dynamic reporting
With easy-to-read reports, you get immediate information to support important instructional and training decisions. You can view the results of any demographic group or gain a precise overview of results for a designated period of time.
You'll be able to:
- Immediately create item analysis, individual student, and list reports
- Compile test results on any demographic group to meet federal and state reporting requirements
- Export data to other software applications to create custom reports, charts, and graphs, or to manage data in existing systems
- Report on National Reporting System level gains, HSE test readiness, and norm- and criterion-referenced information
Features of TABE Online:
- Auto Locator—TABE Online Locator test automatically schedules and assigns students for appropriate subsequent test
- Untimed test option—You can turn off the test timer for individual students
- Pause button—You can pause the test for students who need more time
- Reports—TABE enables you to generate reports by aggregating data within any node in the hierarchy. You can also report on disaggregated data by date range, demographic, or location
- Improved Accommodation Profile functionality—You have the option to adjust font color/size and background color of test questions and answers to accommodate a student's testing needs
Windows Vista, XP, NT, 2000, 7
Macintosh 8.x, 9.x, 10.x
Each test in TABE 9&10 (e.g., Reading, Mathematics Computation, Applied Mathematics, and Spelling) is defined in a statement describing a set of skills called category objectives. Items in TABE 9&10 were also classified in terms of three process dimensions: recall and recognition, inference, and evaluation. The Survey version of TABE 9&10 measures the same objective structure as the Complete Battery. A complete list of abbreviated descriptions of the category objectives is provided here.
Complete Battery consists of five test levels (Literacy, Easy, Medium, Difficult, and Advanced), two test forms (9 and 10), and a Locator Test. The Locator Test helps determine which level of an assessment to administer to obtain the most accurate information about an examinee's strengths and weaknesses.
Levels E, M, D, and A: Item Count and Test Times*
*Please note that these times are used as guidelines only. Allow 10 minutes for instruction, recording names on answer sheets, etc. Note that the Spelling test is optional and does not contribute to total Battery scores.
Should you use the Survey or Complete Battery?
Survey (2 hours, 8 minutes)
- Shorter testing time
- Easy screening and placement
Complete Battery (3 hours, 37 minutes)
- Complete norm- and criterion-referenced information
- Detailed diagnostic information
- Stand-alone administration of sub-tests (15 minutes +)
Choosing the right level of TABE Online to administer:
- For groups with varying, or unknown skill levels, administer the TABE Online Locator test
- For individuals being screened for certain levels of ability, select the appropriate level of TABE commensurate with the content difficulty of the program.
TABE is based on current national standards, including:
- National Council of Teachers of Math (NTCM)
- National Council of Teachers of English (NTCE)
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- High School Equivalency Tests
TABE instructional materials include:
- Building Skills with TABE, Second Edition
- Getting to Know TABE
Building Skills with TABE, Second Edition
This is a series of eight workbooks that allow you to create a personalized study plan for each examinee. Each workbook offers:
- A personal study plan which enables the examinee to focus on the skills that need improvement
- Explanations of what each skill involves, and why it is important to master
- Examples of real-life applications
- Practice items for examinees to answer and self-score in class or at home
Getting to Know TABE
This introductory workbook prepares examinees for the experience of taking standardized tests. The workbook offers:
- User-friendly text (easy- to medium-level content)
- Coverage of all five subject areas assessed by TABE 9&10 and taught in most adult basic education/pre-HSE test courses—reading, math computation, applied math, language, and spelling
- Practice items to familiarize examinees with multiple-choice test items
TABE Online allows you to:
- Create class and student item analysis reports, individual student reports, and list reports immediately
- Compile test results on any demographic group to easily meet your federal and state reporting needs
- Report on NRS (National Reporting System) levels, HSE test readiness, as well as norm- referenced and criterion-referenced test information
- Export data to other software applications so you can create custom reports, charts and graphs, or manage data in existing systems
How TABE Online helps you work smarter:
- Work smarter instead of longer. Use TABE Online's advanced technology to save valuable time and give you the freedom to focus on your students' needs.
- Evaluate students' skills and training needs quickly with immediate feedback
- Support your instructional and training decisions with reliable assessment results
- Ensure a secure test taking environment with minimal supervision
- Gain a complete integrated assessment and reporting system that fills all your diagnostic skill evaluation and reporting needs-for instruction and training capabilities, for HSE test readiness, and for employment screening
How TABE Online technology makes your job easier:
- Saves time-makes student registration and test scheduling fast, efficient, and secure
- Helps you fulfill state and federal reporting with automatic upload of test results into formatted reports
- Links to online McGraw-Hill Contemporary products
- Simplifies data storage and management-online data storage is highly secure