Primary Test of Cognitive Skills™ (PTCS) us a group-administered series of four tests designed to measure the cognitive skills of early learners. PTCS helps you identify students who may be gifted, who may have learning disabilities, or who may have unique developmental delays.
Subject Areas and Grades
- Cognitive Ability (Grades K–1)
- Paper and pencil
- Hand scoring
- Machine scoring
Thank you for your patience.
Primary Test of Cognitive Skills (PTCS) is a group-administered series of tests that provides a reliable, valid indication of young learners' cognitive abilities. Four untimed sub-tests assess verbal, spatial, memory, and concepts skills. Based on careful research, PTCS helps teachers identify young students who may be gifted, have learning disabilities, or have unique developmental delays.
PTCS was standardized on a 2007 norm group. When used with TerraNova, Third Edition, PTCS provides anticipated-achievement scores for individual students and groups, allowing you to compare your students' achievement with that of other students of the same age, grade, and ability—and determine whether your students are achieving to their full potential.
- Simple, engaging material independent of reading or number knowledge
- Easy-to-use Examiner’s Manual
- Reliable, valid, norm-referenced indication of cognitive abilities
Four untimed sub-tests assess:
- Concepts skills
These four tests yield four scale score that are combined with a child's age to produce a single Cognitive Skills Index (CSI).
PTCS can be used during the fall of Kindergarten through the spring of Grade 1.
5.1 to 7.6 years
PTCS is not timed. When planning administration, allow 30 minutes for each of the four subtests.
Why use a Cognitive Assessment?
A cognitive abilities assessment helps you define and focus on individual student needs more effectively. InView and PTCS provide you with insightful information over and beyond achievement test scores, about crucial cognitive skills like verbal reasoning, nonverbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning.
Gain Clear Information to Target Instruction
Meaningful assessment does more than measure—it provides direction to guide instruction. InView and PTCS are innovative cognitive skills tests that can map student strengths, reveal hidden abilities, and point the way to new learning opportunities. When you know what your students know and can do, you can teach to your students' needs.
With InView and PTCS You Can:
- Assess critical cognitive abilities, Grades K–12
- Detect potential learning problems
- Anticipate student achievement on college entrance exams (for upper grades)
- Highlight Gifted and Talented placement information
- Offer inclusiveness, equity, and fairness for all students
- Position students for success by supporting more targeted instructional decisions
- Meet Title I and IDEA reporting requirements